I knew that I should be a mother and I guess that I always figured some day I would be. I got married at 19 and Heavenly Father didn't waste any time letting us know that we were to get started on a family right away. A month and a half later we were expecting our first child.
I thought that I knew who I was at 19. I wanted to be an artist, a dancer, a singer, a nurse...........
Everything about a first pregnancy is new and different; some of it good and some of it bad. I remember Jeremy suggesting things that I could possibly handle swallowing and everything he said sounded disgusting. I remember making dinner only not able to eat it when it came time because I had smelled it for too long. I remember that my life revolved around the next time I could get some sleep. Waking up 5 times in the night to pee.
I also remember the first time I felt a little flutter, a kick, a hiccup. I remember how excited I was for the ultrasound where you find out if it is a boy or a girl. I loved seeing my little baby moving inside of me.
Nothing could have prepared me for the experience of becoming a mother. It is the neatest, most exciting, scary, nauseating, joyful thing I could have ever imagined.
My dreams of becoming a dancer have been fulfilled. Having my children as an audience when I am dancing to silly music in the kitchen is more fun than dancing on any stage.
My dreams of being an artist have been fulfilled. Having my children admire how good Mommy is at drawing flowers and cows and ducks is more rewarding than hanging my art in a gallery.
My dreams of being a nurse have been fulfilled. Coming to the rescue with Princess bandaids and kisses saves the day every time.
My dreams of being a singer have definately been fulfilled. Singing to my babies to calm and soothe them to sleep is magical. The great thing is that they don't care if I sing in tune or not!
I love being a Mommy. I love that Heavenly Father has trusted me and blessed me with these kids. It wouldn't be Mother's Day without them. Amelia was so gorgeous in her flower girl dress for Jeremy's brother's wedding. Notice the people in the background looking at her. I love her whit and determination.
5.10.2009
Happy Mother's Day!
Posted by Sommer at 8:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
You have a cute family and you are just cute as can be!
Now that I'm done wiping up the tears (of joy) that were brought to my eyes while reading this very touching post I can say, you my friend are a WONDERFUL mother who is doing a FABULOUS job with your BEAUTIFUL family!! I'm so glad we've had the chance to get to know each other and our families a little bit through our time together in this ward. : )
Happy Mommy's Day! I hope you had a wonderful day and got thoroughly spoiled. :) Motherhood truly is a divine calling, and aren't we lucky that we've got the best partners to help us out with it? Gotta love those Backus boys! Miss you guys! xoxo
I LOVED reading this post!! Thank you Sommer for reminding me of why we do this whole motherhood thing!!
Very well said! It's so true...motherhood is absolutely the BEST!!! Your kids are adorable. Love you guys :)
sommer, that was beautiful.. i was touched... truly. It really reminded me that i have all i ever wanted right in front of me. I am living my dream right now so i musn't overlook it.
Just dropping in to say hey and thanks for not forgetting about me. I'm so glad we had the opportunity to be friends even if was just for a short time. You are more awesome than you know and quite poetic also. I love how your thoughts and feelings came through in your post. Just beautiful. Always.
Sommer, blog! Blog I say!
I will blog when I have something to blog about.
That looks really cute. I like it :)
Post a Comment